Sunday, January 17, 2010

Frosty morning in Illinois

I woke up this morning and wondered if I slept for a few days, instead of overnight. When we watched the weather report last night before turning in, it was pretty distinctly calling for a high pressure system to sit over Illinois for the better part of the next week, with little chance of the winter extremes. Yet, when I looked outside, it looked like we had a pretty nice snowfall.

Now, I don't believe the weathermen anymore than the next person, but the maps showed no real clouds, so I was immediately intrigued. After a shower to wake me up, I looked out and figured it out:

Hoarfrost.

It has been pretty mild over the past couple of days - right around 32 degrees. The ground is still snow covered. So, overnight the temps remained steady, and the moisture came from the snow on the ground - fog, if you will. But it was just cold enough to freeze the water vapor on the branches and leaves, and there was a VERY slight breeze, so one side of the trees got more of the accumulating frost than the other.

At least that's my layman's version of how it happened. If you are a meteorologist, or just a weather junkie, feel free to correct me!

Anyway, it looks really nice on the trees, and I tried to take a few pictures. My camera is mediocre at best (a new 13 MP camera is en route, but hasn't arrived yet), so the shots are the best I can do.

Hope you enjoy them.





Pine Tree






Birch tree






Closeup of a frosty pine






Ice crystals on a branch






Icy grass

11 comments:

Fish Whisperer said...

Great photos and it looks pretty if you are a snowman. A little too cold for this tropical boy.
Tight lines

Anonymous said...

intriguing thoughts, Wolfy! Also, some great pictures. In a way, to me anyway, it is a beautiful scene. In another way, I want it all to go away so I can get to some serious fishing.

spotted face said...

Nice pics Wolfy! That's been happening in my neck of the woods, too. We were of the same mindset - I took some pics, also!

Anonymous said...

The scene was very similar here in central WI as we headed out to hit the ice. Nice pictures!

murphyfish said...

Hey Wolfy,
Great photographs and interesting thoughts upon the cause.
Regards,
John

Mark Kautz said...

Maybe only your old camera, but great shots none the less.

Mark

Rebecca said...

Those are gorgeous! I do love snow and ice (in observing that is) on trees. Little mini ice sculptures. Of course, it's hard to get inspired and go outside to fish or even hike around when it's like that.......

Isn't it time for Spring yet?

larryb said...

Just gorgeous Wolfy! Super shootin' my friend. You DO have the eye, as they say. ;-) lb

Blessed said...

Those are some great pictures - I think your analysis of what happened makes perfect sense!

Popped over from the OBS blog.

-Jenn

Kenny Breckenridge said...

Hey Wolfy!
Nice Pictures and I have to agree with you, I think you're right on with your thinking! Sure makes beautiful outdoor pictures! Thanks for the post! I truly enjoyed your thoughts and photo eye!

Indianapolis Furnace Repair said...

Hi thanks for postinng this