Monday, March 8, 2010

A visit to Brookfield Zoo

(Remember - click on any photo to enlarge the image)


Zoo Entrance

We continued our excursions to Chicagoland's attractions by going to Brookfield Zoo on Saturday. It was a beautiful day, and a LOT of people figured the zoo was the place to be.

We have been members of the local zoo wherever we have lived. Brookfield, even though it is 30 miles away, is the closest to us now. Whenever there is a nice day and we don't have other plans - we go to the zoo. Its a great place to get a day's exercise while taking in the sites.

(Actually, my comment about going there on nice days is a misnomer. The BEST days are drizzly, cool, maybe some snow. It keeps the crowds down and you can have exhibits to yourself)

Saturday was a special day at the zoo. National Pig Day is March 1, and the zoo celebrates on the first Saturday after March 1. We have a standing joke in our house that I missed my National Day by one measly day (my birthday is March 2). I think I got the well earned reputation by being less-than neat and orderly around the house!

I also needed some more practice with my camera. So, I took a lot of pictures. Some of them actually came out OK. I hope you enjoy.



Our less than enthusiastic son at the National Pig Day sign. He was much less amused than we were.




Leopard




Bactrian Camels. These animals are HUGE!




free flying fruit bats in the Australia House. Tough to get a photo with low light and no flash, but I tried! Click on image to see a few bats



Chinese newt




Dwarf crocodile




Macaw closeup




African Wild Dogs




African Porcupine




Lion statues at the South Entrance

15 comments:

Michael Agneta said...

Nice pics. I never new about National Pig Day. Next year I'll celebrate with some bacon!

Lizzy said...

Great Post Joe!!! Your new camera takes GREAT pictures!!! You are getting good!!

LIZZY

Anonymous said...

Very nice pictures there you and I'd say by the looks of things, you are getting pretty darned handy with that camera! (I really liked the one of the newt. He, or she, is very cool lookin'!)

I also want to wish you a Happy Belated Birthday! Hope it was enjoyable, even if you weren't born on "pig day!"

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the tour again, Wolfy. I see some wildlife here I have never seen before. Kudo's with your camera work!

Wolfy said...

Thanks to all for the camera comments, but I think I stil have a way to go. The problem I'm up against now is: if I use the highest quality setting for the photos, I think they might be too big - even after cropping - to put on Blogger. I'll have to try and see if it works.

It IS fun learning, though

Anonymous said...

It's been several years since I've been to a zoo! Great post...it made me feel like a kid again.

btw...my fav is definitely the leopard. When blown up...the clarity of the fur and the way the light hits it is beautiful!

Dennis said...

Good stuff Wolfy...I was amazed the first time I saw a camel in person, the size, the smell...they seemed to have an attitude about them as well.

As I watched them all I could think was "man, people ride these things??"...it has to make for a formidable presence, just by size alone.

Anonymous said...

It is always great to get out and see a zoo. It makes for a relaxing day.

Fish Whisperer said...

Nice pictures Wolfy, You can use the highest setting on your camera and should always use it. Better images. Use Picasa to upload to the internet and blogger. It will automatically resize your images.
If you have any Questions about your photography feel free to ask. I have been shooting for a long time.
Cheers

Bill said...

You did a good job with the pictures and it looks like a good way to spend a day. Never heard of National Pig Day before, I'll have to remember that one.

Albert A Rasch said...

Hey! That porcupine was just like the one we caught in Kandahar! I have one of his quills! The British vet checked him for rabies and then let him go outside the wire.

Regards,
Albert
The Rasch Outdoor Chronicles.
The Range Reviews: Tactical

Wolfy said...

Albert - I think they're pretty cool looking - big, with thick quills. Of course, I've never seen one outside the zoo!

butchadams said...

Thanks for the zoo trip Wolfy, just like I was there. I don't think I've ever been. Excellent camera work. I always take 9 mp photos except for this past summer and fall when I was reading and photoing(a real word?)a couple of old pioneer cemeteries and needed smaller files so all would fit on 1 cd. I also liked that newt. Butch

Anonymous said...

Great pics Wolfy! And Happy B-day! I've always loved watching African hunting dogs. One of my favorite critters - love their coats.

Be sure to keep us informed on how to get the best quality pics - I know I could use some tips.

Brookfield zoo said...

Nice pictures and great stuff. You did a great job.I have been to this zoo many times but every time I find it more interesting than earlier. Its just fantastic seeing animals like lions, zebras and giraffes in their natural habitat.